Put some old t-shirts to use by making yourself a hot mini dress. You can make this Cute Black and White Mini Dress with this free, easy sewing pattern. The black and white create a chic look that you can wear in both casual and formal settings. You’ll love how budget-friendly this project is because it uses materials that you already have. If you’re interested in learning how to make your own clothes, this dress is a great place to start. This pattern is also customizable, allowing you to add embellishments wherever you’d like.
I first decided to sew a pair of Peek-a-boo Skinny Pants, having bought the discounted pattern, but the b&w checkered fabric I had on hands wasn’t stretchy so I started moving around my new sewing room in progress, between piles and piles of thrifty clothes and scraps of fabrics and I came out waving some old-but-never-worn off-white t-shirts and a pair of too-much-loved and worn out black cotton trousers, with a big rip on the crotch, with a minidress with a little bit Sixties in my mind.
Here you can see the principal steps on the dressmaking:
- Cut the sides from the pants, laying the pattern pieces on the opened leg:
- cut the front and back center pieces from the t-shirts, cutting two more pieces from the original hem and ruffling with a 1,5-2 ratio
- sew the upper to the ruffle, then the bottom for both front and back center pieces
- sew (or better serge) the ruffle side to the bottom side piece, so won’t slide away
- serge the sides to the center pieces (front and back) and topstitch, then sew along the side seams
- Now we can finish both neckline and sleeve edges with knit cuffs, from the same t-shirts, using the same technique of the dolman top, but cutting longer strips (just a little shorter than the edges, because t-shirt knit isn’t forgiving as jersey), then press using your new beautiful ham!
- when you serge the cuffs, try not to catch too many fabric’s layers, like I did
- Try to disguise your disaster, adding fabric embellishment, here and there…
- because one is a defect, two is a pattern!!
- O http://www.allfreesewing.com/Dress-Patterns/Cute-Black-and-White-Mini-Dress